Student Veterans and Dependents Club

Local Area Events & Resources

Prior Learning/Priority Registration


Credit for Prior Learning/ Priority Registration

If you served in the military, you may be eligible for credit that will transfer to Cal Poly, helping you to earn your degree faster. Veterans are required to submit their Joint Services Transcript (JST) or CCAF  transcripts to the Office of the Registrar. 

In accordance with the Assembly Bill 2133, priority registration is granted to veterans or members of the Armed Forces (Active Duty, National Guard, Reserves). To be eligible, proof of service (i.e. a DD-214, military id, copy of orders) must be submitted to the Center for Military-Connected Students. Click here to submit your DD214. You can apply for a copy of your DD 214 at the National Archives.

Work You Can Receive Credit For

In addition to military training, students can be granted credit for:

  • baccalaureate-level courses that were successfully completed at a regionally accredited two- or four-year college or university
  • academic units when the non-collegiate instruction or experience is determined to be appropriate to the baccalaureate degree and meet American Council on Education guidelines
  • external exams such as DSST and College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)




Related Content